Back in August when the DROID 2 was announced Verizon teased us with info on the DROID R2-D2, telling us it would be available sometime in September. On Monday, they officially announced that the limited edition DROID R2-D2 by Motorola will be available online at www.verizonwireless.com and in select Verizon Wireless stores beginning Sept. 30.
Featuring a graphic design to look like the Astromech Droid from the Star Wars Saga, the DROID R2-D2 will be packaged in a custom box resembling carbonite and come with a Star Wars media dock and wired stereo headset.
It also comes loaded with exclusive content:
- R2-D2 notification sounds and ringtones
- Four live wallpapers
- R2-D2 Clock Widget
- “The Best of R2-D2″ video with the original Cantina music
- Exclusive Binoculars App
The DROID R2-D2 will be available for $249 after a $100 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement.
For more information on DROID R2-D2, go to www.droiddoes.com/r2d2.
A new Star Wars app was also announced on Monday. Available only for Verizon customers with Android 2.1 phones, the Empire Strikes Back allows Jedi Masters to browse, preview and download Star Wars content related to Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. Verizon Wireless customers get it for a one-time charge of $2.99.
The Star Wars mobile app features:
- Bounty Hunt Visual ID: Find and capture images around the Star Wars universe to unlock hidden content
- Sound and Photo Gallery
- Live Wallpapers: Blast the Probe Droid, Luke Balancing Yoda, Navigating the Asteroid Field and Watch Bespin’s Cloud City
- Trivia Challenge: Answer trivia questions about the Empire Strikes Back
The Star Wars mobile app will be available in the Android Market.