July 10, 2007—National Geographic has announced the consumer launch of the National Geographic Talk Abroad Travel Phone, designed specifically for the needs of the traveling public, allowing for affordable calls from over 100 countries, with no contracts to sign and free incoming calls in most international markets.
GSM cell phone technology experts at Cellular Abroad, Playa del Rey, Calif., collaborated with National Geographic in a licensing partnership to provide this service that works seamlessly across international borders, picking up local cellular networks and providing consumers with the best coverage available. Unlike other services, the phone number stays the same, no matter where the consumer travels. As an added benefit, the National Geographic Talk Abroad Travel Phone features a dedicated toll-free number to reach Cellular Abroad’s 24/7 customer support service.
“Staying in touch while overseas has proved difficult for travelers; the majority of overseas travelers have not been able to afford the security and convenience of a cell phone,” said Sebastian Harrison, president, Cellular Abroad. “With expensive rates and little or no technical support, international cellular service has excluded the general public. Now, it is at their fingertips.”
“National Geographic is excited to offer the Talk Abroad Travel Phone to all international travelers. Students, vacationers, business travelers and our own explorers and photographers can now stay connected with this affordable travel phone and SIM card, while they seek to understand and experience our world,” said John Dumbacher, senior vice president of licensing for National Geographic.
The National Geographic Talk Abroad Travel phone is now available at www.Cellularabroad.com/travelphone.
National Geographic Talk Abroad Travel Phone Quick Facts
- Purchase for $199 which includes 30 minutes of free outgoing talk time or rent at $49 a week.
- SIM card available for $79, which includes 30 minutes of free outgoing talk time and is available for purchase at select mobile telephone stores.
- Add minutes as you go; no contracts or bills. Pay a low flat rate of $0.90 per outgoing minute in the most frequently traveled countries.
- Unlimited free incoming calls in the most frequently traveled countries.
- 24-hour, 7-day-a-week dedicated customer service to address questions, add minutes or order a phone. National Geographic Talk Abroad Travel Phone users can access customer service, with no fee, directly from the phone.
For more information, visit www.nationalgeographic.com.
SOURCE National Geographic